Wednesday, January 16, 2013

You Can Take the Girl Out of New England.....

"After all, things change, so do cities." 

Life according to Sex and the City. I used to watch that show ad nauseam and can probably quote every single episode if you asked me to. I started watching it again on the Style Network at Christmas. For some reason, reliving my late twenties and early thirties has been joyfully cathartic. For those who are curious, I'm a Charlotte, and always will be.

I do have a point with all this. It's not just about the TV show.

In a few days, I'm moving to northern California, near San Francisco. The old me would be leaping for joy at the thought of a new adventure. I'm not shy when it comes to traveling. Over the past decade, I've been to Iceland, England, Scotland, Denmark, Germany, Australia, Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas. I've lived in several cities in these United States as well; Los Angeles, Orlando and Boston. 

Boston is home. Technically, Rhode Island is "home." Okay fine, New England is home. When I left the sweltering, oppressive heat of Orlando and moved back here in 2004 I vowed this is where I'd stay. Why would I want to leave again? I love the cold and snow, I love Boston, I love the Patriots. What else do I need? The only other city I ever wanted to live in was London, and that's still on my list of things to do before I turn 80.

Why northern California?

The Dane got an awesome job at Google. As much as I wish the office were located down the street in Cambridge, it's not. It's in Mountain View. I don't want this to come out the wrong way, but I've never had a desire to go to northern California. I liked Los Angeles, but that was about it. Believe me, I've had people coming at me from all directions telling me how great it's going to be, how much I'm going to love it there, how fabulous the vineyards are, etc., etc., etc. 

I get it. 

I'm getting excited. It's taken me a few months, but I'm getting excited. We're driving across the country starting next Monday. Me, the Dane and my two cats. I'm bringing my digital camera and this laptop to document the tomfoolery that is bound to take place as I leave....


...and make my way towards.....



By all means, follow along on this adventure. I promise it'll be entertaining.

"One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things."  - Henry Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment